5 Idioms with «Break»
1. to break the news = to be the first to tell someone some bad news (сообщить неприятную новость)
If you think it's time to separate, remember to keep your partner's feelings in mind when you break the news.
The doctor broke the news that I had cancer.
2. breakneck speed = very fast speed (головокружительная скорость)
In the next few years, the payments industry is expected to grow at breakneck speed and bring in a lot of novelty with cashless methods of payment.
The electric vehicle market is expected to grow at breakneck speed over the next decade.
3. to break the ice = to do something that makes people feel more relaxed in a social situation (начать общение; побороть стеснительность; создать непринужденную атмосферу)
What is the best way to break the ice while starting a conversation?
Making a joke can break the ice when you meet someone for the first time.
4. to break someone’s heart = to make someone who loves you very unhappy (разбить чье-то сердце)
My boyfriend broke my heart when he cheated on me with my best friend.
She broke his heart when she said she'd been mistaken about her feelings for him.
5. to break up with someone = to end a close relationship (расстаться с кем-то)
breakup = the end of a serious relationship (расставание)
Two month ago my ex-girlfriend broke up with me because she said I was becoming too clingy and possessive.
I decided to break up with him because I got tired of his attitude and his character.
Answer the questions.
1. Have you ever had to break bad news to someone? What was the news, and how did you do it?
2. What do you think of people who drive at breakneck speeds?
3. What is your favorite joke for breaking the ice?
4. Have you ever had a broken heart? Have you ever broken someone's heart?
5. Why do people break up with someone they once thought was the love of their life?